LA indie poppers The Submarines and fellow city dwellers Pepper Rabbit have been touring together for a few weeks. FILTER wanted to do an interview with the bands but rather than us conducting the interview, we let the bands turn the mics on each other.
Below, you can read the flip flopped interviews before you head out to their show tomorrow night at LA's The Troubadour, presented by FILTER!
Click Here to get more info about tomorrow night's show!
We've been touring around the US with Pepper Rabbit for a couple of weeks now; we passed some random questions to each other about touring, guilty pleasures, favorite cities and the like.
Here it goes!
The Submarines pose some ??'s to Pepper Rabbit:
1. What are you reading these days (gear manuals, great American novels, men's room wall philosophers...)?
I've been really into biographies the last few years and have been powering through the works of my favorite people. I recently finished 'Bowie in Berlin' and before that spent a few weeks with Anthony Keidis' biography which was amazing. Right now I'm diving into the Motley Crue book and I have Keith Richards on deck!
2. Are there any songs/albums on repeat in the van on this tour? If so, what might that be?
Any Bowie record, Salem Al Fakir and ton's of Ricky Gervais Show. I've been watching alot of Prison Break on my laptop and recently when my laptop dies, of Montreal is what the boys are listening to
3. Have you heard any good advice lately for touring musicians? Or discovered some secrets of the road you'd like to share?
Always keep a bottle of Tums handy, you tend to eat lots of bad food on the road. And load up on allergy medicine. Spending 6 hours a day in a dusty van causes a lot of sneezing and coughing!
4. What's the thing you look forward to most as you finish up this tour?
The Chelsea FC vs Manchester United match the morning after the last show, and then getting back on the golf course!
5. You guys sound amazing! If you could add any instrument to your live set-up, regardless of how difficult it would be to transport, what would it be?
Thank you! I think that any band with piano in the arsenal always dreams of having an ACTUAL piano on the road, so that might be it for me. But I think a private jet is first on the list of wishes!
Pepper Rabbit inquires of the Submarines:
1. How do you stay healthy and rested on the road? I've noticed you and John are always looking good and chipper whilst we are always have asleep and groggy??
Speed! No, just kidding. I feel like we're always either sleepy or hyper on tour. We try to hone our nap-wherever-you-can skills so that we make up for the lack of sleep at night. Running in the mornings helps, too. Plus, you guys seem just very chill, not comatose--probably a good sustainable gear to be in.
2. If you could only play in one city for the rest of your life, which would it be?
Well I guess we'd have to live in this city...so, I'd say probably Los Angeles or New York for now.
3. Who has the most annoying 'guilty pleasure favorite album' that you hate listening to in the van and what is it?
Without a doubt, Rebecca Black's 'Friday' has been the repeat offender on this tour. We've switched over to the 'Dylan' version, which is hilarious.
4. When you have a day off, do you try to sight see as much as you can, or just sleep all day?
We get some sleep, but, we're both bad at sleeping in. We usually end up walking and walking and walking around town. Days off are also for eating spicy/interesting food we try not to eat before playing....
5. When you get home, what is the first meal you have? Do you cook it yourself, or is there a favorite restaurant you frequent?
Oo I look forward to things like fresh fruit, yogurt, that kind of thing. I can't wait to go have a nice yuppie meal out, too, with great wine.
Nice talking with you guys. Ok, back to soundcheck for all of us here in Tucson. As I write this little wrap-up, Xander and John are working out a Subs song so Xander can join us On a tune or two. Sounds pretty.
Over and out!