The original idea for Record Store Day was conceived by Chris Brown, and was founded in 2007 by Eric Levin, Michael Kurtz, Carrie Colliton, Amy Dorfman, Don Van Cleave and Brian Poehner as a celebration of the unique culture surrounding over 700 independently owned record stores in the USA, and hundreds of similar stores internationally.
This is the one day that all of the independently owned record stores come together with artists to celebrate the art of music. Special vinyl and CD releases and various promotional products are made exclusively for the day and hundreds of artists in the United States and in various countries across the globe make special appearances and performances. Festivities include performances, cook-outs, body painting, meet & greets with artists, parades, djs spinning records and on and on.
Metallica officially kicked off Record Store Day at Rasputin Music in San Francisco on April 19, 2008 and Record Store Day is now celebrated the third Saturday every April.
(Source: 04/2012 - recordstoreday.com)
- Record Store Day 2012 – My Picks – #RSD12 (samsandberg.com)
- Record Store Day @ Facebook
- Spotify celebrates Record Store Day – April 21, 2012 (spotify.com)
- 13 Reasons To Visit Your Local Record Store Day On Saturday (wnyc.org)
- Vinyl addicts queue overnight on Northern Quarter streets for Record Store Day (menmedia.co.uk)
- Catch Feist on the flip side on Record Store Day (theglobeandmail.com)
One of the WRSD Ambassadors 2011…
World Record Store Day 2011 – Live session…